TNO is the research organisation of applied sciences in the Netherlands with more than 3000 researchers and staff. At national, EU and international level, TNO has been very active in a large number of EU research projects for many years and involved in ETCP, ETPIS and EPBD Buildings Platform. As an independent organisation, TNO performs R&D for governments, the SME sector, large industrial companies, service providers, and non-governmental organisations.
Contribution to tasks in the project:
- Responsible for the usage of so called digital twins of buildings for optimising the performance of buildings with respect to energy consumption, comfort/health and maintenance.
- Calculating the energy flexibility margin of buildings. For this, models will be used to calculate the amount that building can shift their energy demand (for heating/cooling/ventilation) in time without causing discomfort to end users. This functionality is crucial when optimizing the energy demand of areas of buildings.
- Maximizing the usage of renewable energy, by shifting the energy demand of heating/cooling/ventilation to timeslots where enough renewable energy is expected (again,
without causing discomfort to users.
- Improving indoor environment: Using detailed models for learning the optimal ventilation strategies of buildings.
- Optimizing users satisfaction by a better understanding of building dynamics and inclusion of e.g. weather forecast and user behaviour forecast.
- Relating the digital twins to financial models to see the impact of design decisions from a financial perspective.
- Bringing developed technologies and innovations to market adoption and implementation through developing suitable business models and connecting them to relevant financing opportunities.
More about TNO